Other rooms

Terras room. Bust of Karl Johannes Terrase on the right by sculptor Ferdi Sannamees. Photos: Government Office

Terras Room


The Secretary of State with the longest tenure in Estonian history is Karl Johannes Terras, who held the position for 20 years, almost the entire pre-war era (1920–1940).
The Room of Terras displays a bust of Karl Johannes Terras by sculptor Ferdi Sannamees.
A room has been named after him on the second floor of Stenbock House, which is used for Cabinet meetings  as well as other consultations.
The author of the interior design is Aiki Kama and the table is made by Estonian company Powerdesk Baltic OÜ






Press Conference Room. Photos: Raigo Pajula and Government Offce


Press Conference Room

The Government's Press Conference Room is located on the ground floor, next to the foyer of the outbuilding.

Press conferences are usually held here at 12 o'clock on Thursdays, after regular Government sessions.

Everybody interested can view the Government press conferences live on the Internet.

The interior design of the room ise made by Tiina Alver, the table is constructed by Estonian company ARS Sisustus OÜ.




Main Entrance and the Foyer


One of the few preserved details in Stenbock House is the stained glass window above the main entrance. It dates from the 19th century. The hand-made wall panels of the foyer are covered with painted imitation wood grain or graining.

The rooms to the right of the foyer accommodate the Government Secretariat, while the large State Seal Hall with its pillar-supported vaults stretches throughout the house at the western wing of the floor. The walls of the ground floor rooms are whitewashed at present and the floors are covered with Italian-made stone slabs. 

The main entrance. Photo: Artur Sadovski

Hand-made wall panels of the foyer. Photo: Artur Sadovski



Cellars of the main building. Photos: Artur Sadovski and Government OfficeCellar


Built in the limestone klint of Toompea, the main building’s massive cellars have vaulted ceilings and exceptionally thick walls. 
The limestone walls of the cellar have been laid with care and expertise. It was their purpose to provide the escape-proof detention cells needed for the courthouse. Since the cellars were initially left unfinished as jail cells, the majority of the walls have been preserved to this day in unplastered form.
Restored wooden door lintels from the time of the reconstruction in the 1890s have been preserved in the cellar. Hewn limestone klint previously formed the cellar floor; nowadays, it has been replaced by stone slabs covering a layer of isolation.
Today the cellars accommodate a dining hall, a kitchen and recreational rooms.


Last updated: 10 July 2017